Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pop Quiz

You’ve heard us talk about “The Internet Tree” – that small area at the Secondary School up the street where mysterious factors coincide to bring us MTN cell service for our modem. We’ve discovered that the signal now reaches past the giant tree and to the side porch of the school chapel, which works out really well during rain storms! However, any time we want the internet, we first have to think about what time it is, in order to avoid school breaks. If we hit it at tea (10:30-11am), lunch (1-2:30pm), or dinner (6pm), we’re likely to be mobbed by a crowd of teenagers, all with tons of questions. Even at other times there’s likely to be a few students wandering around. So for a while, we’d got into the habit of going together – one of us to do the actual internet work, and the other to entertain any visitors.

A week or two ago, I (Heather) was not paying attention to time, nor to the fact that I was alone; I only wanted some new recipes from the internet! I hopped on the bike, pedaled to the spot, and set up the computer – the connection was great! I’d just signed in to facebook, and had typed in my google recipe search, when they started coming. Shoot, it was tea time! Soon I was surrounded by 5 or 6 boys, all introducing themselves and trying to read over my shoulder. I quickly repositioned the computer and clicked out of facebook (EVERYONE wants to be your friend if the know you’re on), hoping I could at least get the recipes. Laughingly, I soon gave up. The questions were coming thick and fast.
What did I think about Obama?
How about Osama bin Laden?
Should women be pastors of churches?
What were my thoughts on Libya?No, really, I must have an opinion!
How was it that I’d been married almost three years and didn’t have at least a couple children?!
Was interracial marriage ok where I came from?
Did I know any American girls they could marry?
All Americans were beautiful, unlike their schoolmates [their words, not mine!].
Do Americans keep cattle?
Which is more developed, Uganda or America? [I laughed at this, until I realized the speaker was serious, and I told him America, definitely]

After about an hour, I finally gave up on the recipes, the computer died, and I escaped back to AHI.

--HD

No comments:

Post a Comment