Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bicycle Race

I had taken some visitors into Ntuuti on bikes to tour them around the villages, when a kid on a bike came up from behind me shouting, “Ofwono, Ofwono,” which is my Ugandan name (Ofwono was the tallest man to live in Uganda). He was trying to pass me and I kept biking a bit faster, laughing at him as we went. Soon he surged forward passing me and the American visitors who were in front of us, also on bikes. Well I couldn’t let that stand so while he split to the left of the visitors I split to the right and began pumping my pedals ferociously, not to be beaten by a 10 year old in a bike race.

We flew past the visitors and were dodging potholes, children, and bodas (I had a distinct disadvantage being on the wrong side of the road) speeding through the village, both of us laughing the whole way.

And of course you are wondering… I defended the Mzungus that day winning the race pretty handedly.

--PHD

No comments:

Post a Comment