Saturday, April 16, 2011


Highlights from the April 2nd, 2011 edition of the Saturday Vision

Hello all!  This is Heather, and as I was eating a PB&J sandwich and perusing yesterday’s paper, I decided to share some snippets with you. All spelling and grammar are copied exactly, but I’ve also added a few of my own comments in [].

I went to buy matooke [like plantain, a major food staple here], failed to find my way back home
Many children get lost every day while others are abandoned by their parents.  Every Saturday, we bring you stories of those seeking a re-union with their family

Rainfall expected to reduce in May
…While releasing the weather report at the media centre on Thursday, information and national guidance minister Kabakumba Masiko advised the public to harvest rain water and use it sparingly…

Pitsawyer stabbed to death
A 22-year-old man was stabbed to death by a pitsawyer on Sunday…
[can anyone tell me what a pitsawyer is?  Also, contrary to the headline, the pitsawyer was the one doing the killing, not being killed]

Reflexology clinic defies ban
Despite the Government’s ban on reflexology centres, one in Soroti continues operating, claiming it is of international standard…Minister of Health, Dr. Stephen Mallinga, said the ban followed investigations by the ministry, which revealed that many practitioners were not trained and could not treat the diseases they claimed they could.

Yumbe kids unearth bombs
The Police and the army have unearthed a cache of military hardware in Yumbe and Koboko districts…the bombs were discovered by school children and a squirrel hunter…These areas were a corridor for defunct guerilla factions, who are suspected to have buried their arsenals underground during their rebel activities.  Angucia advised parents to keep children out of scrap business to avoid tragic incidents such as that in Moyo last month, in which four children were blown up.
[a squirrel hunter?]

 14 YEARS OF [Universal Primary Education]: PLENTY OF GAINS AND PROBLEMS
…Many pupils survive on one meal a day. They do not eat anything at school the whole day, have supper at home, then leave in the morning without breakfast. “During lessons, the teacher struggles to keep the pupils awake”…Gladys Athieno…says when pupils start dozing she makes them sing…Apart from hunger, teachers now have to deal with a larger number of pupils than they handled before…Athieno would teach a class of about 20 pupils. However…the number has multiplied more than ten times.
 [200 students in one class!]

Mystery Date
Each week, two lucky people get the chance to go on a blind date. This week, Mary Nambusi, 21, went with Richard Harrison Kabeya, 30, to Choma Restaurant…To participate, send an email to____
 Richard: …After about 30 minutes, I raised my head and I saw a smashing beauty stretching out her hand to greet me.  I had no doubt she was the one…She was knowledgeable, beautiful and had a nice figure.  Her dress was nice and I found out we both like the same things such as clubbing.
Mary: …When he said he had fallen for me, I was not offended because he was handsome, caring and a gentleman…I told him I had a boyfriend but that I was not engaged. I told him he could wait and if he was patient, anything could happen.
[why the blind date when she already has a boyfriend?]

--HCD

1 comment:

  1. It is always fun to get a feel for a new culture and the headlines certainly do pull you in. As you say, they usually cause one to ask more questions. I'm sure they all make perfect sense there.

    How is Maggie? Tell us about the students!

    ReplyDelete